Monday Morning Quickie: Ghosting

There was a good response to "Ghosting" in some pictures I took last week, and a few people asked me how to accomplish this effect in class. So I figured I'd share with everyone this easy way to make cook effects without photoshop or some other photo editor.


You'll need a tripod or something sturdy to place your camera on, a camera that will do longer shutter speeds (DSLR or a Really good Point and Shoot), and a little bit of patience with trial and error because it takes a few times to get the "Ghost" effect you want from light situation to light situation.

Just place your camera on the tripod, select a slow shutter speed of 5 or 10 seconds, and then put your camera on a self timer to reduce camera shake then jump in there.

When the shutter opens, stand there for about half the time your shutter is open (a little longer, or a little less depending on how distinct you want your "ghost" to be) and then move out of the shot as fast as possible. Usually the sensor won't pick up such a quick movement.

When the shutter closes enjoy!! Here are two really lame ghosting pictures I took just to get the ball rolling. Send me your more creative ones and I'll post some of the good ones here as an update!!




HAVE FUN!!


0 comments: